Who doesn’t want to smell fresh in this scorching heat?
Do you spend a lot on perfumes and still not able to make a perfume last longer? But what is the point of wearing a perfume if they don’t last?
We know how much time, money, and effort it can take to find your perfect signature fragrance. So you really don’t want to waste a single drop.
So What Is A Perfume?
Perfume or Fragrance is a blend of fragrant oils aroma compounds and fixatives to produce a pleasant and soothing scent for humans and other living objects.
Well, it’s correctly said, “You are never fully dressed without perfume”.
A Guide To Types Of Perfumes.
Shopping for new perfumes can be overwhelming with all the scents available.
Not only there are countless scents available, but there are also different fragrance concentrations available. A fragrance concentration refers to the strength a fragrance has. Higher concentration perfume contains more oil and less alcohol.
Fragrance concentrations are broken into the following categories:
- EXTRAIT DE PARFUM or PURE PERFUME has the highest fragrance concentration.
- Concentration: 20% – 30%
- Longevity: Usually lasts up to 6-8 hours
- Price Range: High
EAU DE PARFUM (EDP):
- It is the most common fragrance type and is suitable for everyday wear mostly preferred for nightwear.
- Concentration: 15% – 20%
- Longevity: 4-5 hours
- Price Range: High but cheaper than PARFUM
EAU DE TOILETTE (EDT):
- The term eau de toilette came from the French term “Faires Toilette” which means getting ready.
- Concentration: 5% – 15%
- Longevity: 2-3 hours
- Price Range: Affordable
EAU DE COLOGNE (EDC):
- Originally eau de cologne is referred to a traditional recipe that uses herbs and citrus notes with little anchoring with the base note. It generally comes in big bottles as more quantity of fragrance is used.
- Concentration: 2% – 4%
- Longevity: 2 hours or less
- Price Range: Cheaper than all the other variants.
Now to cut through the bottles cluttering your vanity table, here is a brief guide to the major fragrance categories.
- Citrus-based perfume has the essence of citrus that offers tangy feels
- These are derived from LIME, TANGERINE, and MANDARIN which features really sharp tangy notes.
- These fragrances are said to be lively and are perfect for bubbly nature.
- These are perfect for day wear and can give a person a very soft fragrance which can be worn with ease.
- Sweet and romantic, these scents are good girls of the fragrance aisle.
- Florals are at time single notes but generally a combination of flowers to create the classic feminine appeal.
- These fragrances draw inspirations from different sweet-smelling flowers like roses, jasmine, orange blossoms, gardenias, and carnations.
- These are feminine in nature and are classic choices for people who want a posh feminine feel.
- Woody fragrances are also called CHYPRE FRAGRANCE.
- Woody scents are based on the notes of bark and moss. The predominant use of oak mess, citrus, patchouli, bergamot as well as sweet earthy aromas help in creating a soothing perfume.
- These fragrances are majorly for female categories or unisex. These notes are not for male categories.
- These fragrances showcase a very strong and classical appeal and are mostly preferred by corporate workers.
- These perfumes are a mix of earthy and musky fragrance.
- These fragrances are exotic, bold and distinctly feminine.
- These sensual blends feature earthy, animalistic base scent such as musk and ambergris often combined with warm notes of amber and floral.
- Sugar and Spice and everything nice, that’s what this fragrance smells like.
- It has notes of cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and pepper.
- Spicy fragrances have their own alluring scents and are very luxurious.
- These fragrances are perfect for brunches or casual occasions.
- These fragrances are pleasant and are a favorite among many due to its sweetness.
- These fragrances have a blend of spicy and fruity notes which help them making ideal for usual dates or lunches.
- These include sweet smells like apple, berry, mango, peach and other juicy fruits or the essence of these fruits.
- Oceanic perfumes are relatively newer types of fragrances containing synthetic aromas to resemble smells of mountain air and sea or clean linen.
- These are crisp and fresh and ideal for job interviews.
Here are few hacks that will help your perfume last longer, and keep you smelling fresh all day long.
- Know the different types of perfumes available. Do concentrate on the notes of a perfume. An EDP and PARFUM are pungent and last the longest.
- Moisturize First: Fragrances when applied to an oily surface last longer. Moisturize well with an unscented lotion and then spray your perfume.
- Add Petroleum Jelly On Pulse Points: The ointment in petroleum jelly helps in holding the fragrance for longer. Apply jelly to wrists, neck, inside of elbows, behind the knees, ankles, and calves.
- Spray On to Your Hairbrush: Never apply perfume directly on to your hair as the alcohol in perfume can dry them out. Instead, spray it on your hairbrush and then comb your hair. One may also invest in hair perfumes which are specially created for hair.
- Don’t Store Them In Your Bathroom: Always keep perfumes in cool and dry places. The humidity and dampness in the bathroom will break down the perfume and weaken its fragrance affecting the longevity of the perfume.
- Apply At Right Time: Always apply perfume right after a shower as the damp skin will lock the scent and the perfume will last longer. Get dressed when the skin absorbs the perfume and it dries.
- Don’t Rub Your Wrists After Spraying Perfume: Rubbing wrists cause friction which breaks the top notes. The perfume fades faster and it does not last long.
- Utilize Every Last Drop: Perfumes are an investment. Don’t waste last few drops of perfume rather mix them into an unscented lotion to make your scent last even longer.